Friday, December 4, 2009

Why do we do good?

I am here again with something that has been bugging me for some time now. I have often wondered about the societal influence and pressure that we all go through in life. Some people do good and be good to avoid the shame of being regarded as a 'bad human in the society'. When people do good? Do they do it just for the sake of it or for the good name and blessing that others would shower on him as a consequence of it?

Am I confusing you? Actually I am bit confused here. I have found that many around die to hear about their goodness and how good they are. They are highly affected about their reputation, their ordeal. Nothing wrong in it, as long as they are doing good. It's the goodness that matters at the end of the day.

If you ask me, I try to be good in my dispositions and whatever ordeal I go through every day. May be it feels great to do be good. Its like helping myself more than anything else. I love being good to myself and others.

That was quite a blabber!
*Laughs*

4 comments:

  1. When you do good don't think of how it will benefit you. Think of how it will benefit someone else. Believe me when you start thinking like this, good will automatically come back to you...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As well as those who do good for recognition from society, many people do good in private. Some do good because it makes them feel good to do good. I wonder how many of them would continue to do good if doing good made them feel bad! Some do good regardless because through spiritual awareness they have found a state of goodness that has not been conditioned but comes from the heart.

    Buddha made a profound statement when he said, "Desire is the source of all suffering". Can we do good spontaneously without desiring to do so? That is a koan (Zen puzzle) which can only be answered by the whole Self.. :-) Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a joy to see other feel good when we are able to lend a helping hand. The joy of giving is far better than the joy of receiving....
    Do good and feel good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks every one for your comments and making this an enriching discussion. Thanks Derek for the profound quote you shared there.

    Thanks all.

    ReplyDelete